I Can Go Anywhere



We are all adventurers in our own eye. Summiting 14ers, backcountry skiing or simply biking to the park to meet a friend all count as adventure, and for beer enthusiasts, no adventure is complete without your favorite brew. 




Being the die-hard beer gourpie that I am, I always take my beer EVERYWHERE; growler, bottle or even keg, beer is a priority when packing. There is nothing better than quenching your soul with the sweet sip of a sour after a day of trekking through the Rocky Mountain Wilderness or the smoothness of a stout to close out a long day trialing the high country winter. Beer completes every experience to the utmost fulfillment. 

Photo Courtesy: Arthur Barriault

Until recently, my favorite beer was only available from the bottle. I stuck with the bottle 10 miles or 1, white water or pond, where I went the glass went. I was never keen on canned beer; the nostalgia of the whole experience was lacking for me. When Odell canned their first beer (Drumroll) I was having a hard time accepting the change, it just wasn’t the same! One day, I took a leap of faith and bought a 6 pack to take fishing. Ever since then I’ve been a dedicated fan of the can. 


The beer community is a dynamic dance between producer and consumer, always moving to the “next best” of creativity, enjoyment and seeking to better benefit one another. Canned beer has been a revolutionary force since its first “official” appearance in 1935 from Krueger Brewing Company. Breweries were able to produce more beer and expand the area they exported to. Consumers were not burdened with the waste that comes with a bottle and opened the possibility of drinking beer in places other than at home or the bar. 

Photo Courtesy: Kristen Wood

Drumroll didn’t change how I drank beer but it gave me freedom, freedom to pack more beer, drink more beer all with greater ease. With a can, the hassle, worry, weight and mess of a glass bottle disappears and you can fully take on your adventure without the cautionary nag of “protecting the goods”.  Canned beer got me excited to share my stories and favorite beers and inspire others to couple their passion for beer with their favorite activities. With the variety of flavors now available, you can tie each taste to every unique experience. 

Photo Courtesy: Sean Dascomb

At one point this summer, I was wading in a mountain lake colored with the shade of blue that is only found in the hidden waters of the Rocky Mountains. I let the cool water wash the dirt off my feet while I took in the serenity around me. The occasional hustle of the creatures of the forest busy at work and the silent hum of the sky took me out of my life and brought on a feeling of stable joy. Then I took a sip of my beer, my favorite IPA, and it brought me back into my reality. The presence of my beer tied this world by the blue lake to my world I experience every day and made me realize they are the same. Now every time I drink Myrcenary I remember that time at the lake, this mountain experience preserved in a can, and that moment finds its way back to me making everything seem perfect once more. 



The age of canned beer is expanding the scope of beer culture, driven towards meeting the needs of enjoying beer anywhere at any time. Searching for lost beer rafting down the Grand Canyon, having your friend crack your victory beer after tackling  a climbing route, using the snow as a cooler after a trip out on the mountain with your sled dogs, beer powers comradery and sketches memories with a sip.  



The world is at your fingertips! You have the privilege to do whatever and go wherever you want. And just like you, your beer Can go anywhere!


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts